The Normandy motorway (A13-A14) is the first complete axis in France to be transformed into free flow. It allows customers to use the 210 km motorway between Paris and Caen, without stopping at toll gates and without reducing their speed, thanks to sensors allowing vehicle identification. The free flow will be operational in 2024.
Why the Paris-Normandy axis?
This axis is conducive to the deployment of free flow for 2 reasons:
- An open toll system, not meshed with another system, which leads to 5 toll gate crossings in 210 kilometers with recurring congestion;
- A high-traffic axis (up to 120,000 vehicles/day on the busiest sections), used by regular customers for home-work journeys and by occasional customers, who leave for the weekend or the holidays in Normandy.
The Normandy axis therefore appeared to be the most emblematic site for importing this innovation, which is shaping the future of France's motorways.
A project in partnership with the French State
By 2027, the entire Paris-Normandy free-flow motorway project will require the following transformation stages:
- Technology: deployment of new vehicle detection equipment
- Infrastructure: removal of toll gates and reconstruction of the new route of the motorway
- Human resources: business transformation, recruitment and creation of the new customer relations center
- Information system: deployment of new online payment tools
Funding and Project Schedule
The project, the investment of which represents a total amount of approximately 120 million euros, is fully insured by the Sanef group under the SAPN concession contract. It was validated by the DGITM after consulting the Transport Regulatory Authority (ART) and the Council of State at the end of 2021.
Financement et calendrier du projet
Le projet, dont l'investissement représente un montant total d'environ 120 millions d'euros est entièrement assuré par le groupe Sanef dans le cadre du contrat de concession Sapn. Il a été validé par la DGITM après avis de l'Autorité de Régulation des Transports (ART) et du Conseil d'Etat fin 2021.